November 14, 2006

Marshall's Life Lesson Learned

Yesterday, Marshall and I went to Walmart for some groceries. I noticed as I was loading the car, that he had a funny look on his face like he was up to something and he was hiding his hand. I asked him what he did. He held out his hand and said, "The worker didn't see this." In his hand was a pack of gum that we didn't pay for. (The gum only cost 30 cents.) I asked him if he took it. He said yes. I told him that you aren't supposed to do that and that it is wrong to take things without paying for them. I explained that he could get into big trouble for doing that and that we had to take it back in the store. He started to cry and kept saying, "I'm sorry, mommy, I'm sorry." It broke my heart but I took him back into the store and went up to the service desk. He was crying the entire time we stood in line. Finally, we got up to the desk and I told Marshall to tell the lady what he did. He held out the gum and said, "I took this, I am sorry." Now, you would think that the lady would be more cooperative in teaching him this lesson. Wrong. She just looked at me and I told her that he took that and we didn't pay for it so I am making him give it back. She asked me if we wanted it. Duh!! Obviously I didn't want to buy it and then give it to him. I told her no. Then we went back out to the car. Marshall and I talked about it on the way home and he pinky promised that he wouldn't do that again. That was a hard thing for both mommy and Marshall to do. Hopefully it left an impression on him.

3 comments:

We Three Queens said...

Great Job Mom. I had to do the same thing with Emile when she was younger... Tootsie Rolls this time. She was terrified when she had to talk to the store manager. Unlike your situation, he was on the ball and willing to help Em learn a valuable lesson. He was great. Emile remembers it to this day. And I agree, it was just as hard on me as her... it's never easy watching your child have to take the "lumps" in life. Keep up the great job. You won't go wrong.

Sarah said...

luckily my girls just throw it in our cart in hopes that i some how won't notice.. hope i don't have to deal w/ that anytime in the near future.

Jamie said...

You'd think the lady behind the counter wouldn't be so clueless!
We've had to do that with Harrison, though. I think it is hard for kids to understand the whole "money" thing at first. Andy let the boys watch "Cops" once, now they are terrified that if they do something wrong (steal, etc) that the police will be after them.