Well, had a great opening morning. My parking spot was empty so I decided to take a chance on the field edge. One gobbler got going and a bunch of hens behind me and they started flying into the trees around me and eyeing my decoys suspiciously. I couldn't move or call with them so close, and then a jake with about a 2" beard showed up and didn't like my dekes either and boogered. I could have shot him but too early in the season and I wanted a nice longbeard. Well eventually I had hens all around me on the ground behind, and I must have spooked one when I shifted my leg that was going asleep. Well, finally about 7am I caught a break as I saw two big turkeys coming slowly toward my decoys along the field edge, pecking and feeding. Couldn't tell what they were till they got closer and I saw both were nice longbeards but probably not dominant as they never gobbled or strutted at all. When they got within thirty yards I shot and rolled one and had to hit him again, put him down for good. Ended up being better than I thought with spurs just under an inch and beard crowding 10 1/2 " right at twenty pounds even. What a morning! Grandad, this bird was for you. I hope you were there and got to sit in on this one with me. In Loving Memory of Wilbur H. Jackson 1926-2009
(Zach, those details are in here for your benefit.)
2 comments:
Thats what I'm talking about
Thats what I'm talking about
Post a Comment